The Fourth of July! Independence Day! (Treason Day if you are from the UK as one of my good who does hail from Britain proclaimed on Facebook this morning).
It is a day for celebrating, fun in the sun, fireworks and backyard BBQs! A time for sweet creamy desserts and salty sides. But as someone who is currently watching and limiting every carb he takes in, how can I partake in the fun and not be a total Debbie Downer to everyone else? Enter Carb-less Chips!!
So this morning in prep for our family BBQ, I was making Cloud Bread and decided to experiment on a smaller scale – what about chips? They turned awesome and you are beneficiary. Seriously, enjoy
- 4 Egg whites
- 1/2 Tbsp of Water
- 1/2 tsp of Chipotle Pepper
- Pre-heat over to 400 degrees.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk well.
- Note: I use Chipotle Pepper for the spice in this because I like it spicy, feel free to play with the spices that speak to you)
- Spoon mixture into a cupcake pan (I prefer the mini-cupcake pans but whatever will do) until the bottom of each cupcake is just covered by the mixture.
- Note: You are going to be tempted to overfill, don’t!! They will come out much crispier the thinner you pour your batter.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes checking to make sure they do not burn.
- Remove and eat immediately.
- Note: You can also immediately spray with coconut oil and salt if desired.
Now you have a way to battle the bowl of chips on the picnic table that everyone else is diving into. Enjoy!!
In my house, tacos are considered a gift from God. My wife is pretty much convinced that the manna that God provided the Hebrews had to have been collected and then pan baked into nice round shapes. Seriously….tacos are a big thing in this house.
However, so is the consumption of refined carbs….or better stated, the lack there of.
So what is a family to do? We love spicy goodness wrapped in an edible delivery system (ponder on the genius of that for a few moments…..pause….pause….pause…..).
Enter: The Carrot Tortilla!!!
I know what you are thinking. I was too but trust me on this one, these are the best we have tried yet. Don’t believe me? Watch the taste off here:
So here is how you make them:
- 1 1/2 Cup Grated Carrot
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Flower
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Wash, peel & grate carrots – OR – buy the shredded carrots from the grocery store and give them a rough cut like I do.
- Place the carrots in a microwave safe bowl and add water (recipe is 1/2 cup but you are really looking to get them covered in the bowl, the amount really doesn’t matter). Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Drain and dry the carrots. Use a dishtowel or cheese cloth to squeeze extra water out. The drier you can get these the better they will turn out.
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Tip: just use your hands and get dirty. It is by far the best way to get the ingredients incorporated.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and line a backing sheet with parchment paper that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
- Spread carrot mixture into approximately 6 inch round ‘tortillas’ that are approximately 1/4 inch think (Note: these don’t rise or spread at all during cooking so however you spread them is pretty much how they will come out).
- Bake for 12 minutes, flip them once and bake for another 12 minutes.
- At this point you can eat them right away, lay them over a rack to allow them cool into the shape of a hard taco or store in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you store in the fridge, I highly suggest heating them up again in a small frying pan to get them warm and a bit crunchy again.
So there you have it, our solution to not being able to eat tacos without all the refined carbs!!