Not sure why my wife and I both had a recent craving for this dish but I glad we both did. We get this dish all the time as an appetizer at one of our favorite local restaurants and I have been trying to emulate it for months now. I think I have finally gotten it where it needs to be!!
It is great because it easily keeps in a cooler (you can bring it to that community gathering you were invited to) tastes great cold, you can make it ahead of time and you can make it in relative bulk with easy to find and prep ingredients. In fact, this version is basically no prep at all!!
So the next time you are invited to an event but are not necessarily excited about hot dogs and brats, consider taking this instead.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (serves 4 as an entree, 8 as an appetizer)
- 1 lb Shelled, de-veined, boiled or steamed shrimp (I use 31/40 and previously fozen works just fine)
- 1/2 of English cucumber (diced)
- 1/4 cup of diced jicama (don’t skip this one!!! The crunch it provides is crucial!!)
- 1 cup pico de gallo (you can either make your own or use store bought)
- 2 Tbsps cocktail sauce (I prefer the hot cocktail sauce)
- 1.5 oz tequila
- 1/2 medium avocado (diced)
- 1 Tbsp minced cilantro
- Place pico, cocktail sauce and tequila in a medium mixing bowl and mix well.
- To the mixture add the cucumber, jicama and shrimp.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes (it can go longer and the flavors tend to marry more but expect more fluid if longer).
- Immediately prior to serving add diced avocado and mix.
- Top with cilantro.
- Enjoy over chips, tortillas or just out of the bowl!!
Special note for those who are on eating per the 21 Day Fix & 21 Day Fix Extreme, you can also make this recipe without the tequila and the avocado and it is great. This brings your container count to 1 red and 1/2 green depending on your serving size.