Totally simple to throw together in the morning, this barbacoa recipe is going to transform your Taco Tuesday’s forever.
TOTAL TIME: 6 HOURS 20 MIN
PREP TIME: 20 MIN
COOK TIME: 6 – 8 HOURs
- 3 lbs chuck roast (fat trimmed), cut into 2-inch chunks (or you can cheat and use pre-cut stew meat like I do)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 chipotles in adobo sauce, chopped (or more to taste – I highly recommend more)
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- ¼ cup pickled jalapeños chopped with juice
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 cup beef stock
Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 3-4 hours. When beef is tender and falls apart easily, shred remaining chunks with a fork.
Remove the bay leaves. Grab your favorite tortillas and load up the barbacoa. Top with your favorite toppings (like slaw, radish, avocado, fresh jalapeños, cilantro…..I think you feel me).
If not using immediately, refrigerate the barbacoa beef with its juices in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Or freeze it for up to 3 months.